Fighting fires in summer is placing significant demands on fire fighters. Did you know their choice of underwear has the greatest impact on their safety, performance and comfort?
It’s been a long hot summer, great for outdoor living but the unfortunate consequence of these warm dry days is an elevated risk of grassland and wildland fires.
Tackling these fires in summer is a physically demanding task requiring fire fighters to be fit, agile and smart. The next-to-skin clothing worn by fire fighters has a measurable impact on their ability to perform both physically and mentally.
Traditionally the PPE clothing for wildland firefighters has focused on the outer layers and footwear. But protection consists of layers and even more importantly the choice of the correct next-to-skin layer will have a major influence on the fire fighters ability to perform.
Armadillo Merino® specialises in next-to-skin performance clothing for professionals operating in high-risk environments.
Armadillo garments cover the body from head to toe providing a buffer zone that greatly enhances a fire fighters safety, ability to perform and comfort under these hot, demanding conditions.
Top 10 reasons why wildland fire fighters should wear Armadillo Merino®?
(click the links to access details on the performance attributes of Armadillo Merino®)
1. No melt, no drip fabrics - no risk of molten plastic, greater protection from heat transfer
2. Flame Resistance - natural FR protection up to 600°C (over 1000°F), without chemicals
3. Thermoregulating - cooler in the heat by managing moisture and effective heat transfer
4. Sweat - delays the onset of sweat, efficiently manages sweat in vapour and liquid form
5. Venting out – the sweat absorbing fabric isn't clammy and quickly dries when venting
6. Smoke - No smoke/odour retention, clothes wash clean and remain odour free
7. Odour – no body odour retention, even after days of continuous use.
8. Stretch – lightweight, stretchy fabrics that move quickly and comfortably with any action
9. Sun – Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection, keeping you safer from the summer sun
10. Safe – free of dangerous clothing toxins, no micro-plastics, 100% natural, biodegradable
Short sleeve versus long sleeve shirts
We advocate long sleeve undershirts for fire fighters under all circumstances. Why?
It's safer - long sleeves reduce the risk of lower arm steam burns and give added protection from thermal transfer.
Greater comfort – soft against the skin along the full length of arm protecting you from outer layers whilst actively removing the sweat from the crook of the arm.
The integrated thumbhole always keeps the sleeve in place to protect the arm even while reaching and stretching. Every little detail counts when you need it most.
Look after yourself and your firefighting team this summer. You only get one chance to get it right so invest wisely.
Armadillo Merino® saving your skin
Armadillo Merino® is distributed globally to fire fighters by specialist distributors.
USA - contact W.S. Darley & Co. firstname.lastname@example.org
Canada - contact Last Logos Inc. email@example.com
Rest of World - Contact firstname.lastname@example.org